Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Great Gatsby

            This week I stopped reading Faithful. It started out to be a great book but the author stretched it out with many chapters and I knew I did not have that much time to finish it. The beginning was great but I started to get bored after a couple chapters. It was a little bit too stretched for me. But great news I found another great book from my sister. Her and her class is reading The Great Gatsby By: F. Scott Fitzgerald.  She likes it and she got me hooked on it by telling me to watch the movie with her. So I did and I loved it so much that I wanted to read the book and compare. Will the book or movie be better?
       The book starts out with the character Nick Carraway who is the stories narrator. He is the one that lives in the small house next to Gatsby’s mansion. He is also Daisy Buchanan 2nd cousin. Jay Gatsby, who is a very wealthy man that lives in a large mansion right next to Nick. Daisy is one of the main characters; she is married to one of the richest man in town, Tom Buchanan. The narrator starts out by describing in great detail of the first main setting, in the Buchanan’s home. It gives such wonderful rich description of there home. It says, “Their house was even more elaborate than I expected, a cheerful red-and-white Georgian Colonial mansion, overlooking the bay. The lawn started at the Beach and ran toward the front door for a quarter of a mile, jumping over sun-dials and brick walks and burning gardens…” (Fitzgerald, 6). The way the author added a very specific description before everything he was about to describe was amazing. He didn’t just say mansion he added Georgian Colonial mansion. Just a few words can change how the author is describing it. So I thought the author started the book very well with great description. I can’t wait to keep reading.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment